Fast 14 with Phoebe Ryder
1. What is your role at the Print Room?
Depending on the day I’ll either be up in the office working on marketing or downstairs helping out with embroidery.
2. Shoot a portrait of yourself.
3. Shoot your workspace.
4. What are your hobbies, interests and emotional cup fillers?
Time outside fills my cup right up; being at the beach, in the water, or out exploring in the forest & mountains. Making things with my hands - sewing, drawing, or playing around with clay. Live music, Reading, cooking, having good conversations with my loved ones. Oh, and dancing big time!
5. What's a book you'd recommend?
So many, but here are three! On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous - Ocean Vuong, Auē - Becky Manawatu, & Lost Connections - Johann Hari
6. You're stuck on a small island, what three things do you bring?
Don't like this question :/
7. What's your all-time favourite album?
Stressful question that I don't think I have an answer for. However some recent and older faves are:
Blonde - Frank Ocean
Make Way For Love - Marlon Williams
Dancehall - The Blaze
8. What are you doing to help the environment?
Small things. I am concious about what I consume, things that will last a long time & have been made ethically. Trying to avoid excessive plastic packaging is a big one that really frustrates me. Reuse and recycle what I can, & appreciate mother earth for all that she does for us!
9. What's your favourite plant/tree/growing thing?
10. What were you doing before Print Room & what brought you here?
I studied fashion at Otago polytech & spent a few years working in production for Melbourne-based label Kloke. I moved back to NZ end of 2020 and spent last year studying ceramics at art school which was so great. I started working part time at Print Room end of last year :)
11. Shoot something that makes you happy.
12. If the borders were to open tomorrow and you could go to one country where would it be and why?
Tricky question but I would have to fly my boyfriend to Zimbabwe so he could spend some very over-due time with his family!
13. You’re having a dinner party at your house, what do you make?
Hmm perhaps a big Indian style feast - Saag Paneer, Black Daal, Biryani and some homemade breads.
14. You’re allowed 3 famous guests at this dinner party who are they and why?
James Acaster, Fatimah Warner (Noname), & Marlon Williams. I think it could be a bit of a laugh.